Monday, August 27, 2018

#RPGaDay2018: Days 24-27


WEEK FOUR [continued]: WHICH...
24) ...RPG do you think deserves greater recognition?
This time last year, I would have said Fantasy AGE, which I finally made time to try out for a couple short adventures late last year. However, with the release of the Modern AGE RPG, and the resounding success of Green Ronin's recent Kickstarter for The Expanse RPG, it seems that the AGE system is receiving quite a lot of attention.

25) Name a game that had an impact on you in the last year.
I first tried Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition back in 2014-2015, but it was a little over a year ago that I started running Tales from the Yawning Portal for my wife and children. I've enjoyed those games a great deal, which has led me to investing more in the system, and blogging more about it here (as attested by my Freeport 5E series).

With all four of us heavily involved in Pathfinder Society, it's become harder to make time for D&D these past several months, but I hope to return to and finish The Forge of Fury soon.

26) Your gaming ambition for the next year.
Two things come to mind: 1. I want to have my "Time of the Tarrasque" campaign running regularly again by 2019, and 2. I hope to finally make it back to GenCon for the second time.

WEEK FIVE: SHARE...
27) ...a great stream/actual play.
I have watched only a handful of actual play streams, and never live. It's just not my thing--I'd rather be playing a game myself than watching other people getting their gaming fix on. (It must be a generational thing, at least in part. My 13- and 14-year-old are perfectly happy to watch YouTubers playing video games I've never heard of for hours on end. That would make my eyes and ears bleed.)

On the other hand, I have enjoyed some shows where the action at the table gets an aggressively professional editing job before it reaches the audience, such as Titansgrave on Geek and Sundry, and the couple of RPG-related episodes of Tabletop that preceded that series. I'm not sure if that counts as "actual play" as most people use the term, but I find that format to be a much more rewarding investment of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment