Monday, August 31, 2015

#RPGaDay2015: Days 28-31

28th) Favorite game you no longer play
Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I loved the TV series, I loved the RPG, I loved the alt-Buffyverse campaign I played in, and I loved my two main characters in that game. In spite of all the headaches they caused me and my GMs over the years, Baz Olmstead and Trick Tillinghast remain two of my favorites among all the RPG characters I've ever played. (I've blogged in the past about some of the ways that Trick has permanently become a part of my psychic landscape.)

29th) Favorite RPG website/blog
The Piazza. This UK-based forum is dedicated to "old D&D campaign worlds," but has plenty of traffic about new games and sourcebooks, as well as a whole subforum for discussing members' homebrew worlds. I've dipped into larger communities in the past (mainly Steve Jackson Games and EN World) but The Piazza and Ronin Army (Green Ronin's online community) are the only two forums I spend much time at these days. They're a much more comfortable size for me and the amount of time I have free to surf gaming sites, and they're the ones I've made a home and name for myself at.

30th) Favorite RPG playing celebrity
Wil Wheaton. His Tabletop web series is brilliant, and he chose a game by one of my favorite publishers for that show's first foray into RPGs (Dragon Age, by Green Ronin). I've started watching his new show Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana, which is designed to show what playing a RPG campaign looks and feels like. From what I've seen so far, Wil has brought together a good mix of system, story, and players to do just that. This project looks like it will be the perfect thing to show non-gamers (read: potential new gamers) who want to know what this gaming thing is all about.

31st) Favorite non-RPG thing to come out of RPGing
"If you would read a mans disposition see him game, you will then learn more of him in one hour, than in seven years conversation, and little wagers will try him as soon as great stakes, for then he is off his Guard.
--“A Letter of Advice to a Young Gentleman Leaveing the University Concerning His Behaviour and Conversation in the World” by Richard Lingard (1670)

The quote properly refers to gambling, but is also quite appropriate for RPGs as well. I have made a large number of friends who I first met through gaming, or whose mutual interest in gaming helped us become better acquainted.

My wife falls into the latter group--we met through the SCA, but around that same time, her college friends were just starting to introduce her to gaming (tabletop RPGs and LARPs). It didn't take long before we were playing in the same games as often as possible. We celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary this past week, and gaming remains one of our greatest shared passions to this day.



No comments:

Post a Comment