Friday, August 26, 2016

#RPGaDay#2016: Days 24-26


Day 21: Funniest misinterpretation of a rule in your group?
Day 22: Supposedly random game events that keep recurring?
Day 23: Share one of your best "Worst Luck" stories.

I've fallen behind this week, and will have to go back to these three later, if I find time.

Day 24: What is the game you are most likely to give to others?

If you count any kind of game, then it would probably be Apples to Apples. It has a broad appeal, so most of my non-gamer friends and family like it, too. (Of course, most of the people I'd play it with own their own copy by now...)

If you limit it to RPGs...well, I don't often gift gaming books, so there's no one system I'm most likely to give. Most recently, I've given a couple of OneDice games to my kids: OneDice Raptors to my dinosaur-crazy daughter for her birthday birthday, and OneDice Fantasy to my son for his.

Day 25: What makes for a good character?
  • An engaging character concept--one that you'll have fun playing, and that will be fun for the other players, too. 
  • Enough mastery of the rules to make that idea work within the system. 
  • Skills and abilities that complement the rest of the party, meaning that the character offers something useful that the other PCs don't have (or don't have enough of). 
  • Enough flexibility to change and grow as the story, campaign, or party require. 
Day 26: What hobbies go well with RPGs?
  • Painting and drawing, to help visualize the world and its characters. And to paint minis, if you're so inclined.
  • An interest in fantasy, science fiction, and others genres related to the games you play. 
  • Cooking, to feed the players during session. Most of my regular group meets before game time to have a meal together first.
  • Knitting and cross-stitch. My crafty friends like having something more productive to do with their hands than rattle dice and shuffle character sheets. And these two hobbies are far less distracting and disruptive than, say, web-surfing or playing a game on your phone when your character isn't the focus of attention.
  • LEGO toys, because they're great for making minis. But you knew that already, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment