Lendri was a Wayfarer: a guide, scout, and warrior tasked with keeping the roads through the Greenwood safe for travelers. As such, he often worked alone, patrolling the forest for potential threats. When he found a problem he couldn't easily handle alone, it was his duty to report back and gather reinforcements. And from time to time, he was chosen to act as guide for a caravan passing through the Greenwood.
I had to drop out of that campaign early on due to the demands of impending parenthood, so have recreated Lendri as a mere second-level ranger. His name means "badger," and he emulates that creature by wearing a badger pelt hood and fighting with "war claws." These weapons do not appear in the D&D Fifth Edition Player's Handbook, so I have borrowed the broad claw entry from the D&D Wiki (a website for homebrewed fan material). I gave Lendri the Outlander background to represent his upbringing in the wilderness, but changed the musical instrument proficiency to leatherworker's tools in order to allow him to maintain his own gear.
The original Lendri was not a spellcaster, so I have chosen his spells to be relatively subtle rather than blatantly supernatural. He should take the Hunter archetype at 3rd level, and the Dual Wielder feat at 4th level.
Human Ranger 2
Medium humanoid (human), neutral good
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 20 (Hit Dice 2d10)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 14 (+2), DEX 16 (+3), CON 14 (+2), INT 9 (-1), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 10 (0)
Proficiencies (+2 proficiency bonus)
- Saving Throws Str +4, Dex +5.
- Skills Athletics +4, Nature +1 (+3 forests), Perception +4 (+6 forests), Stealth +5, Survival +4 (+6 forests).
- Armor Light, medium, shields.
- Weapons Simple, martial.
- Tools Leatherworker's tools.
Languages Common, Elvish, Orc, Sylvan.
Attack. You can attack when you take this action, using the following.
- Broad Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 slashing damage.
- Handaxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+2 slashing damage.
- Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8+3 piercing damage.
Favored Enemy. Ranger feature: Lendri has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track humans and orcs, as well as Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
Natural Explorer. Ranger feature.
Two-Weapon Fighting. Ranger feature: When Lendri makes an Attack action with a broad claw or handaxe, he may make a second attack with a broad claw (which also applies his Dexterity modifier to damage).
Spellcasting. Ranger feature.
- Spell Save DC: 12
- Spell Attack Modifier: +4
- Spell Slots: 1st-level (2)
- Spells Known: alarm, hunter's mark
Wanderer. Outlander background feature.
Broad claw (2), handaxe, dagger, longbow, quiver with 20 arrows, leather armor [furs], climber's kit, explorer's pack, hunting trap, leatherworker's tools, badger pelt hood, wolf's tooth pendant